The Philippine Green Building Initiative, or PGBI, is a non-profit, voluntary group of professional associations involved with the built-environment who share a common concern on the impacts of global warming and climate change.
- To set up standards and promote best practices in the design and construction of buildings;
- To develop a green building rating system;
- To promote awareness of the environmental impacts of buildings;
- To develop an objective non-partisan approach to the study and assessment of buildings and communities;
- To develop the process of rating, verification, inspections, and building audits;
- To promote the adoption of various Green Building technologies developed, designed, and approved by Philippine professionals;
- To establish a system of awards and recognition, based on PGBI standards and ratings;
- To maintain high professional ethical conduct and avoid any conflict of interest;
- To promote the continuing education of the Philippine Green Building professional system;
- To establish official representation in government agencies in order to keep track of issues and thereby provide policy advice marked by professionalism, integrity, unbiased, and high ethical conduct with no conflict of interest.
To be the leader in developing a sustainable nation by promoting energy-efficient and environment-friendly design and construction
PGBI’s story began in 2008 when a group of engineers and architects sought to create an industry body that will address the effects of climate change on the built environment in the Philippine setting. This started a conversation on green buildings and related issues such as greenhouse effect, global warming, high electricity rates, air pollution, high mortality rate in respiratory ailments in highly urbanized areas, and various factors needing immediate attention.
The following year, ASHRAE Philippines, PSVARE, and the United Architects of the Philippines–the three main proponents–agreed to involve other pioneer organizations into the movement.
In March 2010, with careful planning and timing, the Philippine Green Building Initiative (PGBI) was incorporated through a signing of a memorandum among the founding member organizations, which are:
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers Philippines Chapter (ASHRAE Philippines)
- Heritage Conservation Society (HCS)
- International Council of Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS)
- Integrated Institute of Electrical Engineers (IIEE)
- Philippine Institute of Interior Designers (PIID)
- Philippine Society of Ventilating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigerating Engineers (PSVARE)
- United Architects of the Philippines (UAP)
- Geological Society of the Philippines (GSP)